About the #imaginable category

A public imagination campaign created by IFTF. Our challenge is to generate up to 100 ideas for positive long-term adaptations, solutions or change that could come about directly as a result of our current crises.

More details are provided by IFTF at https://www.iftf.org/imaginable/

Here is a summary of their framing questions and invitation:

• 10 years from now, what can you imagine being at least one positive long-term adaptation or change as a result of our response to the current pandemic?
  • 10 years from now, what do you think we will look back on as one of the most important, but surprising, ā€œripple effectsā€ of the current crisis?
  • How can we act together during this moment of uncertainty to change things for the better?
  • What do you believe must change for us to be happy, healthy and secure in the future?
  • 10 years from now, what action will you be most proud to have taken today?

For each possibility or idea, weā€™ll ask you to encourage your conversation participants to find and share a link that provides evidence that such a change is possible, an action is already underway, or that the idea already has some momentum. You can see a sample conversation here.

How we will participate using our Discourse:

• If you have an idea to share in response to one of the questions
    • Start a new topic thread here on Discourse under the #projects:imaginable category, and share your idea there. (While creating the thread, also be sure to add any relevant tags onto the thread. For example, consider tagging your thread with a broad aspect of society that it fits within like #future-of-education )
    • Find or create a link to a resource on the web that ā€œprovides evidence that such a change is possible, an action is already underway, or that the idea already has some momentumā€. Include the link in your new thread.
  • Explore the ideas weā€™ve generated here in the #projects:imaginable category.
    • Comment/Reply to the ideas. Letā€™s build on them!
    • If new/distinct ideas get generated through our discussions, letā€™s start new threads for them so that each idea has its own place to live, grow, and be easily linked to.

Robert, you already told me but I forgot, itā€™s not clear to me how to add tags to the threads. I see ā€˜optional tagsā€™, and then it seems you have to make a selection between existing tags, but itā€™s not obvious how to create new tags.

Hey @Roland

To create new tags, you type them into the following box while you are composing a new topic:

However,

if you already created a topic, and want to add tags onto it after, you need to click the pencil beside the topicā€™s title, and then you can add tags from there:

And you are correct, you canā€™t mention tags in the body of threads until the tag has been created at some earlier point while creating a new topic. (i.e., tags are intended to organize topics, not individual replies.)

Imagine a future in which the lessons from COVID-19 have become well known and absorbed by both professionals in relevant professions, and the general public. This will facilitate effective planning in a similar circumstance. There has been reporting already that some Pacific countries (South Korea, Hong Kong, New Zealand) that had experienced H1N1 and SARS had an easier time making and implementing plans to minimize the risks with COVID, because everybody already agreed on the basics about how to handle a pandemic. The public education campaign didnā€™t have to start from zero.

What can help this happen? The employers of doctors, public health officials, public policy wonks, etc. could make public reporting a component of their jobs. One resource for doing this is Wikipedia (as well as Wikidata and the other related wikis). Many doctors and scientists already contribute to Wikipedia, but employers would do well to make it a requirement that they do, and give them the training to ensure that they do it effectively. This will take time - Iā€™m not advocating to add a new task for already busy workers. But planning future job descriptions, building training programs, building review and evaluation proceduresā€¦none of this is alien to corporate culture.

1 Like

I think there is an issue here with permissions. I did as instructed (I think), and still I could only make a choice between existing tags, not add new tags.